Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric052492

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but is it possible to have too many USB devices on a computer? I have a 1.83ghz mini and lately I've been having trouble with USB devices not plugged right into the computer itself. This includes a few hubs I've tried and the USB ports on my monitor. Some examples would be: 1. My apple aluminum keyboard, sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in when I start the computer or it won't work. 2. Just today, my iPhone wouldn't sync through a USB hub I've been using for quite some time but when I plugged it into my mac, it worked perfectly. Any help would be appreciated.

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
both of those devices work best when plugged directly into your mac. Make sure your usb hubs are all powered. I have 13 or 14 devices powered on all the tim eon my iMac and there is no problem at all as long as my hubs all have ac power to them. Hope this helps.

--Eric:)

Eric052492

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Thanks for the response. All my USB hubs are powered. The only reason these devices aren't plugged into my mac directly is because I have two external drives, a hub and a recording interface plugged directly into the mac. I assume hard drives function the best when plugged directly in. The hub is a given and the audio interface wasn't functioning when not plugged in directly (lots of lag). Thats the only thing I miss about my PC, LOTS of usb ports. I had 14 right on the computer itself :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.