USB Power adapter size needed

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Gmouse, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Gmouse macrumors regular

I notice accessory magnetic charging cables for the watch don't come with the USB adapter, and they are offering BOTH the 5w and 12w USB adapters. Will this be similar to the iPhone, and although the 5w works, the 12w will charge the watch faster?

2. Boxmonkey macrumors newbie

I asked the apple guy this when I had my appointment. He said it would not charge any faster with the 12w adapter. But he said a full charge only takes 2 hours.

3. blatch macrumors member

blatch

The bottleneck is probably in the inductive charger, not the power converter.

4. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

I think it's more likely the bottleneck is the battery itself, or more specifically the current limit designed into the charging circuit that feeds the battery.

5. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Do yourself a favor and just pick up a multiport USB charger. They'll charge at either 5 or 12 w and you can cut down on the number of 110 wall connections.

I have the Anker 40W 5-Port High Speed Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ which I bought from Amazon $26 and would highly recommend it.

6. parallax33 macrumors regular

I can second that. Fantastic device :)

7. AppJohn macrumors newbie

AppJohn

Don't if things have changed since your post, but it currently states a 5w usb power adapter is included.

Attached Files:

8. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

You might want to read his post. He's talking about an extra accessory charger. The description would suggest it doesn't come with the power adapter.

9. AppJohn macrumors newbie

AppJohn

Ahh, I see now. Agreed.

10. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Only the 6 and 6 plus can take advantage of anything more than 5 watts. I'd guess the watch will also be like older iPhones and only take 5 watts from the 10/12 watt iPad chargers.