USB power help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jburns, Nov 4, 2007.

1. jburns macrumors regular

I need to find a way to expand my number of USB ports in a way that doesn't limit the devices I can use due to low power. I have the Apple device that adds ports but many devices can not run through it due to low power (ie, iPhone, back-up drives etc.). I'm sure there must be a solution but havn't been able to find one. Can anyone help me out?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, unless I am completely misunderstanding you... (quite possible) you need a powered USB hub -- that is, one that has a power plug of its own. There are tons of them available; just make sure it's USB2 and it has a power cable, and you should be fine.

You can search threads on here for examples if you need to. Should be available at most local office supply or electronics stores.

But what is the "Apple device?" Apple does not make a USB hub.

3. jburns thread starter macrumors regular

Oops. It's a Belkin hub. Unpowered though. Thanks, I'll check out getting a powered hub.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you have a tower, you could get an internal PCI card to add 2-7 ports, or if you have a laptop, get a card slot adapter for 2-4 ports...........As long as you're running 10.2 or later, the drivers are built-in, making it plug & play installation :p

Belkin, D-Link, SIIG all make good ones............