USB Power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatoneguy82, Jan 26, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

So, I'm really thinking the problem I'm having with my external SuperDrives have to do with power drawn from the USB ports. It takes 2 USBs to power my SuperDrive that I put in my enclosure. However, I purchased an external Apple SuperDrive and it only came with one USB plug. It wasn't enough to be shown and be used. However, in the system information, under USB it does know that there is an Apple SuperDrive in there. It also says that 500mA of power is the max provided by the port and the drive needs 500mA.

I have no idea what's going on. Is it possible that my USB port is not powered? Which doesn't make sense since it's the one on my MBP. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The external Apple SuperDrive only works with MacBook Air and Mac mini.

3. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

As far as I know Apple's external SD is intended to be used with the MB Air which has more power output on it's USB ports compared to the Pro.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

your sig says MBP 17" and like others have said the Apple external superDrive is only for Air and Mini

5. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Which USB port are you plugging it into? Per my understanding the USB port closest to the display has the most power, the furthest has the least.

Your other option is plugging it in to a powered USB hub.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If that's true then it needs 1A, not 500mA.

7. thatoneguy82, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Didn't know that, but now I do. Thanks.

Yeah, you would think that. But, when I look again with both plugged in, it says something bridge to sata and it's only using 2mA of power. It also works if you take the extra USB cable that splits off and plug it in to another power supply.

I got a LG BD Writer which also has lightscribe. Hopefully that will work, the cable has 2 USB plugs to draw more power during intensive tasks (BD/DL DVD write). However, I may just plug the extra USB plug into the wall to ensure that there will be more than enough power.

I really don't know why I'm having this problem with my USB and external optical drives. First, I'm unable to boot from them, and now this. I'm about to start throwing the blank discs as frisbees.