USB Powered Speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NZed, Mar 12, 2011.

1. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Hi guys

I'm looking forward to buying a cheap Edifier 2.0 Speakers that i'll be using it temporarily. The speakers are USB powered.

Now i've read at lowendmac.com and it said that

Is this true? The USB power part? I have the 7,1 MBP. I'll also be buying a Targus USB hub for mac. So if the above is true, i have to plug in my usb hub to the port closer to the front to be able to power the speakers to full power?

Thanks in advance!

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

thats probably not true. Besides if you are using a hub it should have a power adapter of its own so it wouldn't matter anyway.

USB powered speakers aren't known for their sound quality, I hope you aren't spending a lot of money on them.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

This only applies when running off battery, whilst on AC both will supply full power. At least, to my recollection of experiencing it myself.

4. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Ummm...

[​IMG]

5. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

To be fair, those are not USB powered, just usb sound output. 500ma is not a whole lot to drive a decent pair of speakers with.

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

If you have a powered USB hub like suggested above, you will have no issues but if you have one of those you could easily use a 2 into 1 power adapter and get powered speakers and better sound. Unless you've heard them and like them already, you should know that USB powered speakers typically don't sound much better than the built in speakers and those on the MBP and pretty much any premium modern laptop are quite decent.

7. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

thanks guys

i've decided not to buy the speakers now. i've always wanted a 5.1 speakers anyways