USB PreAmp for GarageBand

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Reesche, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Reesche macrumors member

Can you tell me which USB PreAmp I would need to correctly get the the following instruments to get into GarageBand using a MacPro Tower?

Is USB the way to add instruments to GB? Or FireWire?

1. Shure Unidyne III microphone...phono plug

2. Guitar...phono plug

3. Key Board...phono plug

OUT to the MacPro...... GarageBand v6.0.5

Thank you!
    Reesche

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

3. Reesche thread starter macrumors member

So these 2 inputs have my phono and another input combined? Kind of a 2 in 1 thing?

What are the 2 outputs on the back for?

So I would use this unit to plug all instruments and microphones into and output via the USB cable into GarageBand?

Thanks for your input!!!

Reesche

Attached Files:

4. Reesche thread starter macrumors member

One more question..... what powers this unit? 9volt or AC?

Thanks again!

Reesche

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

It is powered by USB. This box is what they call a 2x2 because it has 2 audio inputs and two audio inputs. You might plug-in a microphone and a guitar to the inputs and the outputs would go to the left and right monitor speaker.

They make much larger versions, like say a 4x to 16x that has 4 or 16 inputs. 16 would make sense if you had live drums and a couple guitars and some microphones for vocals.

You said you had a keyboard. There are two way to bring in keys. Ok three if you think os "both at once" as the third option. That is either you plug in the audio or you record MIDI. With audio you can do mono or stereo. So for a guitr, stereo keyboard and vocal you'd want a 4x interface like maybe this one
    http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i8/key-features
    There are MANY others to choose from. I would buy a usb interface with an eye to the future. How amy input do you need

Some times you need more outputs. For example say you have a guide tracks a musician listens to. Maybe just it's just a "click track" r keeping time but you want to also monitor the recording. So there is reason for two headphone tracks that play different things. In a bigger studio they have lots of tracks

But really you wait all to go through ONE and only one audio interface box to you have problems keeping the clocks in sync

6. Reesche thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Chris..... Is this Focusrite 2i2 enough for me if I am going to do the following?

1. "Everything" will go into GarageBand via USB , one at a time.

2. Guitar (phono plug)

3. Keyboard (phono plug)

4. Microphone (phono plug)

Did I understand that a Keyboard and Microphone would plug into the left input only and the Guitar would plug into the right input only?

Thanks again!
    Reesche

7. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

This audio interface would work absolutely fine for your uses. You can plug any instrument or microphone into either input - it doesn't matter. You can also have a stereo keyboard for example plugged into both the left and right inputs for stereo recording.

Hope this helps.