USB printer over tcp/ip setup on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arkangil, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Arkangil macrumors regular

So I have my brand new (refurb) MBP and I am trying to get printing working. I should say this is my first Mac ever.

I have an Asus wireless G router, with a PC hard wired to it, and a PC laptop as well. The printer is a Samsung CLP 315. For both PCs I had to run a little Asus app, and have the Samsung driver installed, and now they can both print fine. The laptop prints wirelessly. When the laptop first connects to the network it "finds" the printer as if I had plugged in the usb directly.

I have tried setting my Mac to print to the routers default address but when I print, the printer just pauses.

Any suggestions would be great, since I would really like to be able to print wirelessly from the Mac

Thanks all

2. ryannn macrumors newbie

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I have my printer shared from a PC, and it works seamlessly with my MBP (as long as the PC is on, of course).

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I suspect you need a port number for the printer , not just the ip address of the router. That's probably what the little apps you have on windows do. You might find the info in the mfgr's manual or something.

5. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, I will eventually be removing the desktop PC from the whole scene. The MBP is my desktop replacement. I don't want to always have to go to my wifes PC to print something.

I can try the port number thing.

The Asus router has nothing Mac related in it's 3 page manual!

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

7. tsa1 macrumors regular

at home i have a westell wireless fios router hooked up to my iMac G5 and i have a HP printer hooked up to the iMac.

How would i go about setting it up to the network so my MBP can print from it? hook the printer up to the router? i dont think the router has any ports, and if so, would i still keep it plugged in to the iMac?

thanks