USB question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lulgle, Apr 16, 2008.

1. lulgle macrumors newbie

i have a mbp 15 2.2. for some reason when i plug in a usb external drive, my left hand usb dosent seem to have enough power to run it, so the disk spins up, dies down, and spins up again. But the right hand one powers it fine. The left usb still works fine with flash drives and a usb mouse.
    is this normal?
    what should i do?

-mario

2. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Ive read on some other threads about this problem, im not sure if it was only on 15' or both. But mine runs my 500GB WD usb drive perfectly on my left usb plug in. I have a 17' MBP

I am sure someone else who knows more than me will help you fix your problem!

3. lulgle thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks, does anyone else know about this problem?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i haven't heard of this problem, but it could just be that the one usb port isn't powered for whatever reason.

5. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

You should try resetting your PRAM or something, turn off your computer, take out the power supply and the battery, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Replace the battery and power, then hold down the p,r,option (alt) and the command (apple) keys and press and hold down the power button until the computer restarts for the second time. When the second chime sounds, let go and it should boot up, I hope this works. My method should be correct, but you may want to verify it with the Apple support pages first.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

resetting the PRAM wont do anything, mine is the same way, i cant run an external HD of of it and i cant use my external sound card with it either