Usb Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nikonut, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Nikonut macrumors member

The usb ports are to me a little awkward as i use a usb aircard,its too thick to fit under the keyboard,is it ok to plug a usb hub to the rear or keyboard port?

thanks
    Steve

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you'll probably want a powered hub though, i don't think the keyboard ports draw enough to power a hub on its own.

4. Nikonut thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,I was thinking that I have a powered one on the pc....
    I have put in a signature several times in the options folder and hit save and its not sticking....any reason for this ? its hard for people to help if they cant see signatures,i know this prolly isnt the place to ask this and i apologize ,but iam a newby :)

Steve

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Look inside "About this Mac" and then inside the USB section. You will find that there is a USB hub built into the keyboard. So yes you can plug stuff into it but notice the "max speed". That hub is only a USB version 1 hub, it is not the faster and more modern USB version 2 hub that is on the back of the computer. The keyboard is OK for things like mice and graphic tablets but not for a disk drive or scanner. Well it would work but it's slow.

But the exact details depend on the model of Mac you have. That is why there is the "About this Mac" feature.

6. Nikonut thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Chris I know about the keyboard as noted,yes I need full power.