Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
I am an electrician and I often get people asking for me to install USB receptacles.

I have been using the TOPGREENER TU2154A 4 Amp High Speed Dual USB Charger Outlet. It's a good price and both the specs and reviews seem good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAZIU5...id=1485622485&sr=sr-1&keywords=usb+receptacle

My question is if the Apple pros like yourselves know of a better receptacle to charge an iPhone or iPad?

Currently I use the larger charger that came with my iPad to charge both my iPhone and iPad. I figure since it's an Apple product it will work best, I have heard stories that Apple products will charge slower on non-Apple chargers (not sure how true that is).

So I was wondering if there is a known better USB receptacle for charging Apple devices?

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Is that better than the iPad charger?

FWIW, my customers are looking for the actual receptacle (outlet) itself to have USB ports built in.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Is that better than the iPad charger?

FWIW, my customers are looking for the actual receptacle (outlet) itself to have USB ports built in.

I like it because it has 2 usb ports that charge fast like an ipad charger. It charges my iphone 7 plus faster than the regular 1 amp plug since this is 2.1 amps per port.
Im not sure about an outlet itself.
The good thing about this is you can unplug and plug it anywhere.
Unless you plan on upgrading all the plugs in your house with those then you are stuck only to this one plug that has the usb ports.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I like the receptacle you are using better than the one I installed a couple of years ago. The USB ports are slightly closer together on my receptacle, and prevent some AC plugs from going in at all until I unplug a USB cord. Don't recall the brand, but I bought at Home depot. But, I like it because of the location. (yeah, in the kitchen), and charges most anything at the highest charge speed (and I don't often need to use it for anything else). Plus, no big box hanging out the front of the receptacle, which is what your customers like, too. I have a micro-USB, and a Lightning cord plugged in there most of the time, so I don't have to hunt down a cord. (With 9 devices in the house, charging cords travel all over! I require that these two cords to stay here, ready to use :D )

Reactions: Wirenut

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I am an electrician and I often get people asking for me to install USB receptacles.

I have been using the TOPGREENER TU2154A 4 Amp High Speed Dual USB Charger Outlet. It's a good price and both the specs and reviews seem good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAZIU5...id=1485622485&sr=sr-1&keywords=usb+receptacle

My question is if the Apple pros like yourselves know of a better receptacle to charge an iPhone or iPad?

Currently I use the larger charger that came with my iPad to charge both my iPhone and iPad. I figure since it's an Apple product it will work best, I have heard stories that Apple products will charge slower on non-Apple chargers (not sure how true that is).

So I was wondering if there is a known better USB receptacle for charging Apple devices?

We recently did a major downstairs remodel, including the kitchen, and I had the electrician install a number of USB receptacles. All the "in wall" receptacles were from Leviton. Leviton offered a number of outlet configurations as well as colors, which we needed. I have not seen other colors besides white and almond from other manufacturers. All the USB outlets we used were all high power, and have no problem charging two iPads simultaneously.

http://www.leviton.com/en/products/electrical-wiring-devices/usb-charger-devices

These receptacles were placed on either end of the island, on the bar, in my wife's dressing area, and one in the bathroom (coupled to a GFI outlet since it's near a sink). In addition, in the kitchen, we added an under cabinet electrical system of lights and outlets from Legrand so we didn't have to cut holes in our glass tile backsplash. This system is modular, and one module you could get is a USB outlet.

http://www.legrand.us/adorne/products/under-cabinet-lighting-power/apusb3tm4.aspx

Again, these outlets are all high power, and charge any device very fast. The best part about having all these USB receptacles is that you don't need the ugly wall warts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.