usb reinstall macOS problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 65301361, Dec 10, 2018.

1. 65301361 macrumors member

toady I was trying to install Sierra on my 2015 MacBook Air and found something confusing. I made a bootable usb driver with Sierra and got to the macOS installer and erase the ssd of my MacBook in Mac OS Extended journaled and of course installed the Sierra on it. but after the process bar ended and reboot automatically it didn't go into the macOS setting screen where you can choose the location and language etc to set up your Mac. Instead it went to the macOS installer again?

so I erased the hard drive again and installed and succeeded. and I found that the ssd was detected as pci ssd or whatever I can't remember when I went into the macOS installer the second time. I assume that is the reason why it failed? acutually I also came across this problem when I used windows laptop like 9 or 10 years ago. I always had to install windows twice to make it. what could be the reason?

2. Sovon Halder macrumors 6502

Sovon Halder

Installing an OS twice to get it installed. It should never be like this.

Once the installation is completed, it should just boot into the system disk unless mentioned otherwise. If that doesn't happen automatically, do it manually. When it restarts, go to boot options and boot from system disk.

If you are seeing the same problem in windows and macOS for years you are for sure doing something wrong.

3. 65301361 thread starter macrumors member

The problem is even I press option at starting. There is only one disk for me to choose it’s the installer which means the os hasn’t been installed successfully

4. Sovon Halder macrumors 6502

Sovon Halder

That's weird.

Did u partition & format the system disk properly ?

5. 65301361 thread starter macrumors member

I think I did. I just choose the disk and erase it in the disk Utility.

6. Sovon Halder macrumors 6502

Sovon Halder

There are guides and thorough tutorials on internet about how to do that. Every step. Check those in case u need to be sure. Also try once more, this time take photos of the steps.

7. 65301361 thread starter macrumors member

I have installed it so I don’t bother to do it again. I assume the problem is because of the APFS? Cause I installed it from Mojave. But I’m not sure though. I read the instruction and I think I did everything right.