usb sd card reader help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by InAppleHeaven, Jul 10, 2007.

1. InAppleHeaven macrumors member

I am having trouble with an sd card reader. the indication light comes on, but an image does not mount on the desktop, and the battery in the camera is dead. the package on the usb reader says that its mac compatible, so i have no idea. I dont have the data cable to hook it directly to the usb, given that i found this casio exilim cam on the beach. So, what is a solution and or what am i doing wrong? I am running OSX panther. thanks.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Maybe it's broken? That's why you found it on the beach.

3. InAppleHeaven thread starter macrumors member

no, the cam is great

No, nothing is wrong with the camera. nothing is wrong with the sd card. the battery just went dead, and i was using an sd card reader that plugs into the usb port. the problem is that the image of the reader wont mount onto the desktop. i will end up buying all the accessories that goes with it, but i will still have a problem with getting any other sd/cf card to mount, using this brand new reader. I bet a flash media stick woudnt even mount on there. I guess i am just overlooking some minor detail to get the info on it. any other suggestions?

4. remmy macrumors 6502a

Might be the formating that the camera used on the card is not readable by the mac.

Try image capture or iphoto?

5. InAppleHeaven thread starter macrumors member

nothing seemed to work, except virtual pc

i finally got winblows 2000 to recognize the reader as a drive, and was able to view the photos. However, as many may know, VPC is sooo slow. I still dont understand why OSX will not even recognize that its plugged in. I read several other posts with people having a similar prob with other media drives and the trick was to plug in the reader, then plug in the sd card, which seemed to work in VPC. Well, back to the drawing board. I just want it to work in OSX. Thanks for your input. P.S. Mcmurry drove a hellofa race saturday night. Hope everyone got to see the finish.