USB serial cable recommendations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Beaverman3001, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

I am looking to buy a USB to serial adapter, and despite the amount of adapters apples makes and sells, they do not make this adapter. Can anyone recommend one that they know for a fact works straight out of the box on the MBA? And if you also know it works fine with cisco console cables that is a plus.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm interested in this too. Just picked up a USB floppy drive and USB iomega zip drive. A USB serial and USB parallel cable and I'm all set to go Back to the Future... :cool:

3. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Don't forget the drivers! :p

4. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Keyspan all the way for me

I regularly use Keyspan USB to serial cables with my Macs and Cisco switches and routers (2k, 3k and 6k devices). I've used their single port and four port models previously, mainly the single port one which lives in my bag. You need to download and install the drivers from their website and don't be put off that these are labelled as beta - they work fine for me on 10.7.1. I mainly use it with cu in Terminal but they just appear as the normal tty and cu devices (e.g. /dev/cu.USA19H41P1.1 and /dev/tty.USA19H41P1.1) so will work with all the usual terminal software (e.g. screen, ZTerm)

Alec

5. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent, exactly what I needed to hear (I'll probably use ZTerm). Thank you.