USB Serial issues on Mac OSX Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by jpohaire, May 11, 2017.

1. jpohaire macrumors newbie

Hi

I recently purchased a canmore gp102+GPS logger and am having trouble getting usb serial drivers to work in OSX Sierra. Ive done this numerous times before under previous OSx distros, up to OSX Lion I believe being the last one but the drivers dont seem to show up. Any ideas? When i run the "ls /dev/tty.*" command in terminal I get the following active serial tty drivers/ports only
    "/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/tty.JAMBOXbyJawbone-SPP"

My intention is to pull off and convert the files using GPSbabel, or if it comes to it through parallels and the original vendors software through parallels (really trying to avoid this) however nothing appears under Mac OS System info under USB so Im assuming the OS wont load anything for this or let it pass it through as it has no way to talk to it.

Any ideas??

2. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Have you managed it with that make n model of unit under previous OSX builds or just other GPS loggers/USB serial devices?

Reason I ask is from a quick look at the docs they seem to have configured it as a USB mass storage device to provide access to any logs rather than presenting itself as a TTY or CU USB to serial device you can poll directly via USB serial drivers?

I *think* its using an STM32 processor which can be programmed as USB mass storage or as USB Serial device (but I've never seen one configured to enumerate simultaneously as both)

If you arent seeing it as a storage device

A try logging some data - straight out the box it might not create a file system until theres log data to be written
    B try connecting it to a physical Windows PC (rather than a VM) and see what it enumerates as under that - will at least let you narrow it down to an OSX v Windows issue if it fires up as a storage device (or serial device) under Windows