USB sound card iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yashfeen, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Yashfeen macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought the new iMac 27" i7 and want to update the soundcard with an external one.

Is the Creative Xi-Fi 5.1 the best external solution I can get for my iMac?

I have the Creative Gigaworks s750 surround set. It's a 7.1 set, but a 5.1 external surround card is ok, as I don't think i will find a 7.1 external sound card!

Please give me your thoughts!

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I have a portable headphone amp that also functions as an external USB soundcard. It's only stereo, so it might not be what you're looking for, but it works wonders. I have the Meier-Audio CORDA 3MOVE, if you're interested.

3. Yashfeen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply but that's indeed not what i am looking for :). I really want at least a 5.1 surround sound...

It's really stupid that at the moment i cant really use my gigaworks surround set...

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I got one for only $28 USD on clearance from the base PX but I haven't tried to use it on either of my macs as it doesn't say its OS X compatible...

I use it on my netbook playing movies to my bedroom TV and surround system via optical out from the SB X FI...that works really well!

5. Yashfeen thread starter macrumors newbie

my surround set has no optical ... only 3 jacks.

which external card do you have? i saw the asus U1 too, but it has no 3 separate jacks to plug my surround set into

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I have the USB SB XFi setup you were talking about in the thread... again, I searched their web site and it says nothing about being compatible with OS X...

7. Yashfeen thread starter macrumors newbie

what other external card would you guys recommend me then?

8. RaghuramS macrumors newbie

Yashfeen and others on this forum, I have been looking for some solutiom to connect my gigaworks s750 to my iMac. Kindly help me.