USB Soundcard and control volume within MacOS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by enigma2k, Aug 2, 2011.

1. enigma2k macrumors regular

Hi,

I am using a USB soundcard on my MBA and when I plug it in my sound control is greyed out and won't let me control the sound volume.

Is there any workaround for this? In Windows 7 I don't have this issue.

2. Username02 macrumors regular

You'll probably need some drivers or software to allow the sound card to be controlled by the Apple menu icon when it is selected as the output.

Do you have the updated drivers and software for the card installed?

3. enigma2k thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion, I did not have the driver installed.

Just tried now installing the newest driver but it did not solve the issue that I can't control volume within MacOS, it is still grey.

4. enigma2k thread starter macrumors regular

I have found a newer firmware that's Lion only and it did the trick. Thanks again!

5. Username02 macrumors regular

Thats awesome!
    Glad it worked out.
    I am unfortunately currently waiting for the Lion driver for my sound card ... :(

They say not till august.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

ALWAYS, when you buy an audio interface buy one that does not require drivers. If the interface is "class compliant", that is it follows the standards for a USB audio interface then it can use the drivers supplied by Apple as part of the OS. The user sees this as "driverless" because it just works when you plug it in without any kind of software installation first..

There is no shortage of class compliant products.

7. Username02 macrumors regular

Sorry guy.
    I buy what I like. And it is FireWire.

8. vash82 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my M-Audio FastTrack Pro and have found no solution apart from using Soundflower (which works quite well but the volume adjustment has a really bad curve, not sure why). Also the monitor pot is starting to give out.

I think I might just get a new usb soundcard all together. Which soundcard are you using at the moment enigma2k if you don't mind me asking. Or if anyone else has any suggestions.

I'm looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but I am not sure if I will have the same problem or not.. it clearly states that it has Lion drivers. I am also aware that some soundcards (my current one) disable software volume control whether there is a compatible driver or not.

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/scarlett_2i2/overview/

9. vash82 macrumors newbie

I got an email back for the Scarlett, looks like drivers are not the only issue.

"The volume control in OS X is disabled when using the Scarlett 2i2 as the volume is controlled via the hardware volume control. This is to ensure the greatest possible sound level reaching the 6 USB as this provides a better signal to noise ratio when converting the signal to analogue."