Usb Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mikebatho, Jun 1, 2007.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

If I buy a speaker with USB connection, will I be able to run it through one of the ports on my mac's keyboard, or will it have to go either in a main unit port or a powered hub...?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You might be able to run it off the keyboard's hub. My USB headset works just fine on those ports.

3. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it's just a matter of trying it to see?

I mean I'm not bothered if I need to buy a powered hub (graphite G4 with only 2 usb ports), but if I knew before hand, I could order the hub at the same time as the sleaker...

Suppose I could just order it anyway.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the biggest variable is whether the speakers have their own power supply or not. I'm guessing that, as long as they do, plugging them into the kb is probably fine. Occasionally, though, there are powered USB devices that still expect too much power from the USB port and don't behave. Only way to know is to find other people who have that device, though. Although...speakers on a keyboard?

5. weckart macrumors 68040

I thought the point of USB speakers is that they are all powered by the USB port. Some of these speakers also obtain their audio input through the same usb port cutting down on cabling. In all cases, you will need to ensure that enough juice gets through to power up the speakers, ergo the keyboard is not recommended.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's so that a digital signal can be passed out of the computer to the speakers, and the speakers can be controlled to a greater degree from the computer. Among other things. But think about it... lots of speakers are 75W, 100W, 150W. How on earth could they be powered by the USB bus which is rated to provide half a watt? :confused:

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

All I know is that I plugged a 5cm, 1GB memory stick into one of the keyboard ports, and it wouldn't support it.

Had to plug it into the back of my powermac...

Here's the speaker I'm gonna get. And before you say it - I know it's basic....

http://www.everythingusb.com/boynq_vase_usb_speaker.html

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan