USB Speakers and late 2013 iMac 27

Discussion in 'iMac' started by goodrich62, Nov 19, 2013.

1. goodrich62 macrumors newbie

I recently, 2 weeks ago, replaced my 2006 32 bit Mac Pro with a iMac 27". When I connected my Bose Companion 5 USB speakers to the system they would work for a while then freeze the system.
    After working with Apple and Bose for the last 2 weeks. I was informed today by Apple engineers via support that there was a change to the USB architecture and they may not be compatible with the new System.
    Anyone hear anything like this?
    I have tried:
    • Reloading the OS
    • Did a PRAM ? reset
    • Connecting the speakers with and without a hub
    • Connecting the speakers via and old powered USB hub.
    The speakers work great with my 2006 Mac Pro and my Windows laptop only an issue with the new iMac. I have to make a quick call on whether to return the iMac or not. I really don't want to go back to a Windows machine after 7 years but I also don't want to give up the Speakers that I really like and spend $500 or so to replace.:mad:
    Any body else having a similar issue and any other solution comes to mind.
    Thanks

2. Carlos840 macrumors member

I have had the same issue with my B&W MM-1! For some reason the USB speakers made it crash.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1667618

I ended up sending the iMac back because it had another issue on top of that.

If i booted the iMac from cold it would be fine. If i put it to sleep and then woke it i would get crackling sound in the speakers and mic.

Can you do a test for me?

Reboot your mac, put it to sleep, wake it up. Start garage band and record 15 seconds using the built in mic.
    Do you get any weird clicks and pops?
    I had that issue in Skype to, i wouldn't hear them, but people i talked to told me the mic was really noisy.

After a reboot everything was fine until i put it to sleep.

Even after a clean install it still did it.

I spent a few hours with a senior executive on the phone trying to sort it out and they ended up telling me they didn't know what it was, that i could either go to the apple store to have a "genius" look at it, (how about that for a waist of time) or send it back.

I went for a refund and will wait for 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 to come out, see if it sorts it out...

On a side note, my best friend is a sound engineer, and he tells me that many of his colleagues are having the same kind of issues with USB audio interfaces and speakers since 10.9 came out.
    My brother has the same issue on his 2012 macbook pro.

The weird thing is that my speakers work fine on my 24" 2009 iMac with 10.9!

3. goodrich62, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

goodrich62 thread starter macrumors newbie

It may take a little while to get to the test but I'll do to it, I have the voice of a tree frog and the no musical skills but I do love to listen. The speakers work fine on my 2006 MacPro and my other Bose speakers work fine over Bluetooth.
    I wish I tried them before upgrading to Maverick then I would know if it is an OS issue or iMac.
    I hope it is an OS issue I'm using the internal speakers there OK for computer speakers BUT they are what they are, and really not very good for for what I like.
    BTW Since this has been happening I've looked at the B&W Zeppelin don't need the dock, A7 and Sonos Play5 any thoughts?
    I know to a true audiophile Bose is a dirty word but they're kind of like Apple Out of the box works, good support and does what it says.
    Thanks for your response.

4. Carlos840 macrumors member

Yeah, it's a weird issue...

Hopefully it's only an OS issue, what is weird is that it works on my old iMac with 10.9!

The zeppelin is a great speaker, i have had the pre air version for 4 years and am very happy with it. For the size it has great sound, pretty good separation, nice bass, all around good speaker.
    I would not recommend it as a computer speaker as i doubt you would be able to locate it in front of you, but in a living room, etc it's a great thing to have...
    Their customer service is also great, my original one broke down a couple months after the warranty expired and they still replaced it!

IMO B&W are better than Bose, and i wouldn't buy Bose speakers, but everybody has different level of expectation from things like that.

5. dublove macrumors newbie

What about connecting the indirectly to the iMac using a usb hub?

6. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

I would install 10.8 and test. If it works fine in 10.8, it's just a bug in 10.9 that only effects the new iMac and will eventually be fixed.

7. Carlos840 macrumors member

Didn't make a difference in my case. I originally had them plugged via a hub, after experiencing the crashing i tried plugging them straight in and it still crashed.