USB Speed Concern!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluebadge, Dec 19, 2010.

1. bluebadge macrumors newbie

Ok, so Ive had a MacBook Pro (MBP) now for about a year and love it. My friend has an older MacBook Air (MBA). Last night I noticed something a tad odd! We had all been on vacation together recently and I wanted to upload pictures from my MBP onto an external 250gig hard drive then upload to his MBA. I dragged the folder from my MBP onto the external drive (I had about 2.86gigs of photos) and it took what seemed like forever to transfer the files, it actually took about 10 minutes!

When I unplugged it from the MBP and plugged into the MBA to transfer them over. It took less than 2 minutes to transfer them over? So what gives? Why does my MBP take longer to copy to and from a USB HD than an older MBA?

Doesnt make sense, my MBP did have an overhaul a couple of months ago and i'm wondering if the tech chaps at the store replaced something in my MBP with an older part (not sure if it's possible but...)

If anyone has any clues as to what's causing this id love to hear from you!

Cheers

PS I did try transferring data back and forth between my external hard drive and my MBP and I got the same really slow transfer rate. :confused:

2. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

There can be tons of things that would have had his MBA transfer faster than your MBP.

For one you were uploading the files onto the drive, he was taking them off the drive. If the external HD is faster than yours then he would have had a faster rate.

You said older MBA, but I assume that he either has less storage(which can make things just a tad faster) or an SSD. One of the two could have come into play.

Maybe you were uploading them at a high quality and his defaults for downloading are lower?

Many more things that we might never know could make a drive go a little faster, but 8 Minutes faster seems wired. If I were you I would run disk utility, that sometimes really helps out. Otherwise I have no idea you would have to list the specs of the two computers and the HD.

AppleTech22