USB stick and larger files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Seems anything over 4GB won't go to a USB on the Mac. I have a file which is 11GB and needless to say it won't transfer, so I changed the Fat 32 to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which does do the trick, but.. it can then only be used on the Mac after.

Is there a way it can be viewed as other USB sticks work, without any reformatting?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you reformat to ExFAT is Disk Utility that will work with the 11GB file and can read/write in Windows and Mac both.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ooh. Thank you. I'll give that a try. Will it work on a USB port on a television like the unfornatted ones do?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will depend on the TV. I know not all TV sets support ExFAT and many require FAT-32... which is what that MS-DOS Disk Utility option is and also how most USB keys come from the factory.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, Yeh, i've never had to change them, format wise, in all the years I've been using them. Just had this problem with larger files.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like maybe you never had a file this large before, because that 4GB is a file size limitation with that FAT32 format.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes. Quite possibly. I'll be home weekend so will check that out. Thanks again