USB stick drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Porkchop Sandwich, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors member

When using a new USB stick formatted as such: Mac OS extended (Journaled) - GUID

Is there a spotlight or some sort of journaling process that occurs once information is stored on the new thumb-drive that will slow it down for awhile?

I have acquired what appeared to be a pretty nice thumb drive but, I'm getting beach balls and very slow ejects from my top tiered 2017 MBP. (it's been awhile since I've bought a new thumb drive)

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Spotlight will index it by default. To see if this is the cause of the issue, you could disable this by going to System Pref-->Spotlight-->Privacy and adding the flash drive to the list of exclusions.

Which flash drive is it?

3. Porkchop Sandwich thread starter macrumors member

Here's the flash that I'm having a problem with.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Powe...spons&keywords=silicone+usb+flash+drive&psc=1

Once I plug it in, I open the files. The first time I open, it hangs and then the contents appear. Once I close and re-open everything acts as it should. But, it takes forever to eject and then once I re-open after re-installing, it has to do its thing (hang-time) before the files appear. It is..annoying. Guess I'll give it a few days and send it back if it doesn't sort itself out. It's odd but thought maybe it's normal at first - as I said, been awhile since I've acquired a new one..

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I own the J80 (the version of that in USB-A) and they are slow as crap in terms of write speeds but I do like them - no idea if they use the same NAND in the USB-C versions. They do not have any hanging issues though. However, I disable Spotlight on them.

Have you tried reformatting and then disabling Spotlight for the flash drive?

5. Porkchop Sandwich thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate your input Zap

To your question - I did try reformatting the drive once I realized it was hanging persistently. It didn't seem to help. I finally read the low score reviews on Amazon and the complaints sounded familiar. The complaints also seemed to precede failure altogether.

I'm thinking I just got lucky and received a dud. Amazon's swapping it out so hopefully that'll be the end of it. I do like the design and it's physically well made so..

Thanks again..cheers