USB stick for mac en windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tryingthis, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Tryingthis macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use your usb stick on mac en on windows. So if you've made a document on a windows computer, is it possible to proceed your work on a mac if you've put your document on an usb-stick. Or are there any problems because of the different operating systems?

Is this possible without virtual machine?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, any USB stick can be used with Mac and Windows, provided the format is correct. You'll probably want to go with FAT32 or NTFS.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If the flash drive is formatted with Fat32 or ExFat, you should be able to read and write with both Windows and OS X. This is usually how the drives are sold when new.

If you have reformatted them in OS X Journaled or NTFS, then you will have a problem transferring data between operating systems. You will be able to read NTFS on your mac, but not write in that format without additional drivers. Windows cannot read or write OS X Journaled.

-howard

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not if you use one of the many methods in my post.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

True ... but it is so much simpler to just use one of the Fat formats which is compatible with both OSs. Were just talking about a USB flash drive here.:)

Plus, if the OP just purchased the USB drive, it probably already has the useable format on it to be compatible with both systems.

6. Tryingthis thread starter macrumors newbie

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'd stay away from Paragon software. Their hfs driver hosed my Windows PC so bad I had to do a whole restore from backup, and I am still waiting on a Lion compatible version of their Camptune software which when I bought it nowhere did I see it said it wouldn't work, and it didn't, and I'm out $20.

Exfat is a good choice for drives to be shared. I have a 1TB external hard drive formatted exfat an it works great. Simple, no fuss, no drivers or wacky software.