USB stick size not what it seems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by savvasrizkalla, Feb 15, 2009.

1. savvasrizkalla macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Hope you can help me. I have a few USB sticks of 2GB size each, and I am trying to copy some image files onto them. I can copy a few images, and then the systems says that the USB stick is full!!! I know that's not the case though because when I go to the "File info" of the files already copied on USB, they are all together much smaller than the USB stick size.

Does anybody knows what is going on???

Thanks for any help. It's much appreciated.

Sav

PS. I am using Mac OS X 10.5.6, on a new Macbook Pro. I have already updated the system software and iTunes (someone said it might cause problems).

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just to make sure, did the usb drives already have files on them before you started to copy the new things over?

3. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Have you deleted anything off of them? Sometimes you need to empty the trash while they are plugged in to recover that "trashed" space.

4. savvasrizkalla thread starter macrumors newbie

No, they were empty.

5. savvasrizkalla thread starter macrumors newbie

How exactly do I do that?

6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I second that post. You need to empty the trash after "deleting" the files from the USB flashdrive. Only then will the files be truly erased and you'll recover the storage space.

7. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Also use Disk Utility to format, if you need them to work with windows go with FAT format, otherwise you can use the mac format.

8. savvasrizkalla thread starter macrumors newbie

So how do I erase the items in the "Trashed" items. I can't see any "Trash" folder under the USB folder!

Sorry if this seems basic, I am new to teh "Mac" experience!!!

9. claimed4all macrumors 6502

The easiest way is while its plugged in to your computer, empty your trash icon. If there is nothing to empty, create a file, trash it, then empty it. If that does not empty them, I would say a format would be in order, via disk utility.

10. savvasrizkalla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you SOOOO much all, it's working now!!!!

And sorry again for my ignorance!!! Hehe!!!