USB sticks 'seeing double' under OS 9.2

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Pincrete, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Pincrete macrumors newbie

I have a MDD G4 1250 DP …*… I dual boot it into OS 9.2 and 10.5.

SOME USB sticks 'show double' under 9.2, that is they appear to be separate disks/partitions and have to be copied to twice (to each 'disk').

I've tried re-formatting many times, in OS9, on a PC and on a Macbook Pro, in every case drives seem OK on other machines/other OSs .... but the fault persists when they return to OS 9.

It only seems to be SOME sticks that this happens with, but I don't have enough sticks to establish a pattern as my larger sticks are NTFS and therefore useless in OS 9.

I am flummoxed .. is this likely to be a software/hardware issue? Any thoughts?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When erasing in Disk Utility, use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and test it out.

3. Pincrete thread starter macrumors newbie

Will try to do so over the next few days

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Please let us know how it worked out.

5. Pincrete thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've tried every reformat permutation I can think of and the problem STILL exists, so I've come up with a radical solution. I'm going to THROW the offending USB sticks in the BIN !.

The HDD is a puzzle, since two different drives in the same (only) external enclosure behaved in the same way .... I was only using them temporarily anyway during some 'tidying up' since USB is too slow under OS 9, but that enclosure will now get moved over to use on Windows.

I'm still flummoxed though .... I note elsewhere someone talking about problems on dual boot machines and wonder whether some corruption of the OS 9 has somehow taken place. I'd hate to have to do a re-install, but perhaps a temp clean install on a spare partition would reveal where the problem lies.

6. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

7. Pincrete thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah tried that (though I have to admit I didn't think of it till late in the exploration!).

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How many USB drives did you get rid of?

9. Pincrete thread starter macrumors newbie

Only a couple (actually designated for bin rather than IN it so far), I'd write the whole thing off to worn out flash drives, but it's the external HDD case doing the same that puzzles me, with different drives in it.

10. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I would recommend putting them on eBay as "Raid 1" USB drives. You could get four times the usual value! :D

11. vlark macrumors member

12. Pincrete thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually these seem to be superceded by OS 9.2, but I'll check out that mine are these or higher.