USB Super drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jwolf6589, Oct 8, 2017.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Does it sell well? Reason I am asking is because presently I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 unit with a built in super drive, but when I upgrade I will need to buy the external and that may be 2 years from now and I want the super drive to be available at that time. Got plenty of DVD's & CD's so will always have a need for a DVD player. I know at church they use it for their iMac because they need it to play ministry related DVD's that you cant find on iTunes or the web (hence why you have to pay for them).

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

You'd probably do much better (and save money) by buying a 3rd-party DVD/CD drive. Panasonic, Samsung, LG, etc. Look for one that doesn't require a USB "Y" cable (for extra power for the drive). My Samsung doesn't need one.

I don't consider the Apple "SuperDrive" to be worth the money, and it's too picky about which Macs it will work with...

3. kschendel macrumors 65816

I and quite a few others have had problems with the apple Superdrive damaging DVD's. I suggest an inexpensive outboard USB DVD drive instead. I've been happy with an $40 Memorex, although I don't use it a lot.

4. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Thanks.. I wont upgrade until my MacBook breaks or becomes useless. At the moment its in warranty till May 2018.

5. tibas92013, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Within the last four(4) years I have purchased two(2) Apple Superdrive(s) in which I have burned over Five Hundred(500) Copies of my extensive Original DVD Movie Collection using the excellent program "DVD Ripper Pro" on both my Refurbished 2012 and 2014 MM's.

My first Superdrive burned out after burning over three hundred Fifty(350) Original DVD Movies but the AppleCare on my MM covered a free replacement by the Apple Folks here in Costa Rica.

6. kschendel macrumors 65816

I had my Superdrive on the road a fair amount, and I'm not sure it was up to life in a suitcase. It might do better sitting on a desk. In any case, while it's a nice looking unit, you can get the same functionality for less money.

7. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Glad to see people are still using them. HP is still selling laptops with a DVD player built in so they are far from dead.