Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I have a 2012 Mac mini. I am wondering will my Apple USB SuperDrive work plugged into a USB3.0 hub? I heard it only works plugged directly into the Mac's USB port because it needs an exact level of amps that is more than the standard USB amps?

Does any one know, and also does any one know a hub which works well if it does work?

Thanks

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have a 2012 Mac mini. I am wondering will my Apple USB SuperDrive work plugged into a USB3.0 hub? I heard it only works plugged directly into the Mac's USB port because it needs an exact level of amps that is more than the standard USB amps?

Does any one know, and also does any one know a hub which works well if it does work?

Thanks

There is an easy way to test this, when you are burning or better just playing a disk, open System Information which is in /Applications/Utilities and then go to the USB section under hardware, you will see the superdrive somewhere, click on it and it shows you the mA needed while it is active.

You will need an active USB hub which can deliver this minimum but should be more since you use more devices on it.
Mice/keyboards/printers don't use much but external USB disks for instance do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.