USB support in VMware Fusion 8 broken?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Porsupah, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Porsupah macrumors regular

Porsupah

Whilst Fusion 8.5.8 seems to work fine for the most part, when I connect any USB devices, I'm not given the usual choice (as specified in the VM's preferences) for attaching it to the VM or macOS - it's as if Fusion is simply never notified about any such connections.

Is this behaving the same for anyone/everyone else? I've verified this works as expected under Sierra, but I'd prefer to avoid the fun of reformatting and restoring from the Time Capsule backup unless there's no other option.

2. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

It is working here. But if you did a fresh install onto High Sierra, you might have overlooked the KEXT-Consent dialog, which gives you 30 min to approve the KEXT in the Security preferences panel. After that you are SOL for the duration until Apple changes things. You do not get another chance.
    However, you can boot to recovery and use SPCTL to admit that vendor identity manually or turn KEXT consent off altogether.
    Beta 4 was the first version that popped a dialog after a kext tried to load during boot. Previous to that, apparently there was just silent failure.

3. Porsupah thread starter macrumors regular

Porsupah

Ah, interesting! Thanks.

I'm back on Sierra for now, as I needed that USB support as a matter of priority, but I'm intending to set up a spare partition for High Sierra, so I can test things like that. In my case, it was an existing Fusion installation, so that might not have been the issue, but I'll keep an eye out for that when I get HS set up again.