USB Tethering consequences?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreggM3, Mar 20, 2009.

1. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I have 3.0 on a iPhone 3G and use a second gen MBA. I can't get bluetooth to work but usb tethering is actually faster than my office wifi right now. LOL
    If I use it for email and browsing how long before AT&T goons hunt me down or my bill goes through the roof?

2. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

At this point I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer. If you're so concern about it then I say do not use it until more information is available. But if you ask me I'd say go for it. Just don't use it to bittorrent or do anything crazy

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

PDAnet

i have used PDANET for months on my 2G and sent (well)over 500GB of information via ad-hoc. and AT&T hasn't said a word.

idk if they truthfully pin that on you just for high data usage. you're paying for unlimited and what happened if last month you bought 100 songs on iTunes on your iPhone... or what happens if you are just surfing the web day and night and happen to pull that much in.

USB would be faster so that is a good thing to look forward to in 3.0 for me as tethering was the main reason i jailbroke.

4. GreggM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if tethering via usb to a iPhone connected to a wifi network uses the wifi or the 3G network? Not that you should ever need it but it would be cool if your wifi card in your laptop died.:D

5. GreggM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am just gun shy after Verizon improperly provisioned a smart phone of mine and 2 months in a row I had bills of over $1500! Of course they fixed it and didn't charge me but I almost had a stroke. I assume that if I don't exceed the 5gig "Unlimited" limit I should be fine. :rolleyes:

6. Ryanadams23 macrumors newbie

does anyone have the .ipcc file for tethering and MMS

does anyone have the .ipcc file for tethering and MMS? i thought someone did. I'd just like to use the MMS/Tethering enabled .ipcc in replace of mine.

Thanks...

7. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I used this file to tether my 3.0 beta 5 3G iphone to my unibody macbook and it works great.

http://www.myappleguide.com/system/files/file/iphonetetheringfile.dmg.zip