Usb Tethering Free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pyromaniaque, Mar 21, 2009.

1. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

If you set up the tethering via usb feature, would it be free? (the hack i mean)

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

For now it will be free until AT&T and Apple have everything worked out. So I say by release day or maybe slightly ealier it will become a pay-to-use feature.

3. iPave macrumors member

iPave

Depends where do you live. For example in USA is is gonna cost but in Europe it is going to be free.

4. freep macrumors member

Has anyone had confirmation from O2 (UK) that tethering will be free? I didnt think that it was allowed under the current iPhone contract.

5. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

But, I mean, would ATT really know? They wouldn't really be able to do anything if you only used it moderately...right?

I mean, seriously, how would they know if you activated the feature or not....

6. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

they could for example look at the browser type which you have used. if it's not mobile safari they'll know you weren't using your iphone. there are probably a few other ways, using MAC addresses maybe?

Fabian

7. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

True, they may able to check for that sort of thing. I don't see why they don't allow you to tether as long as you only use at much data as you would using your phone normally. I mean you paid for it...

8. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... I'm not sure that they would monitor hundreds of thousands of iPhone users so closely....

9. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I'd like to know too.

At the moment I'm tethering with PDAnet, using my 12 months free data. They haven't cought me yet :D

10. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

I have no doubt that O2 will *try* to squeeze some cash out of us UK users for tethering. If and when they do I'm going to arrange some form of protest.

I don't see why every other phone is allowed to tether for free, but the iPhone (which is one of the most expensive phones out there) should have an extra charge attached.

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

The only way a carrier is going to know if you are tethering (which, btw, usb tethering is amazing!) is if you run your data usage above the cap. 5GB here in the US on AT&T. Sure, they could find out if they wanted but the chances of them taking the time to actually investigate whether iPhones are tethering is slim unless your usage is consistently way high (>5GB).

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It is also possible they might do random audits as well. However, having an alert for users who go over the 5GB limit is the most likely scenario.

13. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

Why is there a 5gb limit? I thought that att was unlimited data if you pay for it.
    how easy is it to exceed 5gb with moderate usage each month?

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

O2 don't allow tethering on any phone so it's unlikely they'll allow it on the iPhone...

15. toxikos macrumors member

Hi Phil,

Do you have a link to the O2 website T&C forbidding thethering?
    I downloaded the whole iPhone T&C and can't see anything.

THanks

16. toxikos macrumors member

No mention to tethering except if it can be the last paragraph

UNLIMITED DATA / WIFI EXCESSIVE USAGE POLICY
    Your O2 tariff for iPhone allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited's Edge / GPRS networks and The Cloud's UK Wireless LAN network and the BT Openzone Wireless LAN network, for personal internet use, email and Visual Voicemail (VVM) on your iPhone only. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.
    You may not use your SIM Card:
    in any other device; or
    use your SIM Card or iPhone to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P file sharing; or
    use them in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other customers of O2 or The Cloud or BT Openzone.
    If O2 reasonably suspect you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think the post above me shows the bit from the O2 site (specifically - on your iPhone only). I confirmed this a few months ago as described below.

After moving to O2 with my iPhone I was pretty pleased with their service, and decided to get a "data only" device to use as a PDA and tethered modem. I got an E90 and then called them to add the tethering option to my new contract (which was advertised @ £15.00 per month).

However, when I called I was told by the Customer Service rep that they had discontinued the option to tether your phone and if you wanted internet on the go you had to get a contract for a 3G data card.

I spent a good half hour on the phone with them getting them to check and got the same answer: It is explicitly forbidden to tether any phone from O2 and they won't allow it at any cost.

I still wasn't prepared to accept this so I sent an e-mail to the CEO's office and got exactly the same answer: They confirmed that O2 do not allow you to tether any phone under any circumstances at any price - if you want to do that you have to have a separate data card.

They won't even let you pay the cost of a data card and add it to your normal phone plan - they are completely and totally inflexible about it.
    My opinion of O2 plummeted after this fiasco...

18. toxikos macrumors member

Thanks Phil.
    So probably they would have the functionality switched off the 3.0 comes out. Does anyone know if Updates are carrier specific? That is customizable per carrier, (except their individual settings of course)

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It will probably be free here in Canada since Rogers has never charged extra for it.