USB Tethering with Android?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azathoth, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I'd like to tether my MBP to my HTC Desire / (Google Nexus One) via USB for work.

I have Android 2.2 ( Froyo ). Unfortunately the Macbook recognises the phone, but I'm unable to "connect" as a modem - with the standard #99* callout.

Anyone got this to work, it apparently runs fine in Windows and Linux, but I heard something about the RNDIS drivers on OS X being only partially supported.

Annoyingly, my old Nokia N79 could do it (without extra SW)

Thanks in advance.

PS before I get a bunch of replies that are slightly off-target:
    *No I don't want to do Wifi-tethering - this works but is non optimal for battery life
    *No I dont want to use PDAnet
    *Yes tethering is legal according to my mobile service provider (I only have a 1GB/month limit in any case)

2. chameleon1 macrumors newbie

no, it doesn't work. i checked. there's something in google's froyo faq that makes this clear.

on the other hand, if you were to use usb, your phone would charge itself anyway.

right now i am connected through the wifi hotspot to my nexus one, with the phone connected to the computer and charging (and firefox running), and my mac (fully charged) is telling me i have almost seven hours of battery life - so using the hotspot is clearly no massive power drain...

3. Azathoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks for confirming.

I just wonder what the battery life is once you really start to hit the data transfer - It's just wasteful want to avoid having wifi on on both the Desire and the MBP, when it could be done with wires...

4. Psyclism macrumors newbie

Think of it this way.. it's a hell of a lot less wear and tear on your USB ports, especially for those on your phone, to use WiFi over wired tethering.

5. Azathoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I only need it about 50-100 times per year. Microusb ports are rated up to 10 000 mating cycles (normal USB are rated to 1500)... so that wasn't really a consideration ;)