USB Thumb Drive: No Longer Recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mem, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Mem macrumors member

I installed 10.4.10 the other day and didn't think anything of it as my laptop seemed to be working fine. I put my thumb drive in the other day and saved something to it, then went to work, popped it into the PC running XP and it didn't open. I brought it back to my laptop and now I get this error message: "Disk Insertion: The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. With the options to Initialize, Ignore, Eject"

It seems like a few people have had variations of this problem since the update, but I haven't read a fix yet. Any suggestions to at least salvage what's on it, or better yet, get it to work again?

Thanks

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Have you ejected the USB thumb drive improperly from your computer (i.e. without ejecting in Finder), if so its probably got corrupted, so reformat (initialize) it, you will lose your data but it should work again.

3. Mem thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for the reply. When I hit initialize, it brings up disk utility and when I select the usb drive, the first aid options are grayed out. How do I go about reformatting it?

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot