USB thumb drives for iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by laragheast, May 8, 2016.

1. laragheast macrumors member

Hi Guys
    is anybody using usb thumb/flash drive for holding videos on to play on iPad and if so
    what make and model please i need to buy to some external storage for my iPad .
    Thank You

2. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have been using the Airstash for a couple of years, mainly for document storage from work that I can easily access from my iPad and iPhone.

3. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I tried the Leef iAccess on my Air 2 and found it unsuitable to the extent that I went through three of them before getting a refund from Leef. Lots of problems with it not being able to see/access more than a couple of mp4 videos loaded on it and it was very slow. The associated app was pretty poor, too. For accessing USB storage (both thumb drives and HDDs) I use both a RAVPower FileHub and a Kingston wireless G3, both of which work great:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digi...F8&qid=1463052960&sr=8-1&keywords=kingston+g3

http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Vers...d=1463053042&sr=8-3&keywords=ravpower+filehub

Among other uses, I use both of these for streaming video stored on an attached USB device.

4. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Not directly a thumb drive, but I use a Kingston MobileLite Wireless G3. You can connect any USB thumb drive/hard drive/ SD you like and stream wirelessly to your devices.

It's the only one of its kind so far to use Wireless ac so it's pretty quick. I've had 3 1080p videos streaming from it simultaneously without issue.

And of course it can serve as a router and emergency battery charger as well. Awesome device for the money.

5. striders macrumors 6502

I use the Leef and although it is slow, it worked fine for me. The main benefit for me is portability - it is so small I can carry it in my pocket.

I think the slowness have to do with the the way lightning port is designed.

6. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I found it incredibly frustrating. As I said, I went through three of these with a lot of back and forth with the vendor, providing detailed info and crash logs. I tried multiple cards and every format available but found that if I had more than a few 2-3GB mp4 videos on the card that their app would crash when scanning it. Or got hard I/O failures when trying to transfer files from the card to the Air 2. I'm a retired s/w engineer and I like to debug issues - I worked on this one for 3 months with them - but this ended up a dead end for me but they did give a full refund.

7. striders macrumors 6502

I think the slowness may cause the crash. I don't use the Leef to run videos from the microSD card, but more for offloading.

8. sparksd macrumors 6502a

When the app crashed, it was immediate. At other times, indexing would never end, even if left running 24 hrs.