USB Thumbdrive for iPhone wanted

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by DukeOfWellesley, Feb 14, 2012.

1. DukeOfWellesley macrumors newbie

I am looking for an iPhone app that allows me to use my iPhone like a USB thumb drive. It must work with Windows and without installing any special software on the Windows pc or using iTunes. No wifi, just USB. Does something like this exist? If not, why?

2. mattraehl macrumors 6502

It does not exist. Only Apple knows why. The generic answer is that every feature Apple adds, or API it provides to devs, has a cost associated with it and they simply decided this one wasn't worth it.

Your best bet is WiFi with an app like Air Sharing, which lets you connect to the iPhone as a network drive from Windows and Mac.

Edit: There is almost certainly a Cydia app for this if you are jailbroken.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

It does too exist. Look into the app Phoneview or iexplorer, or apps like http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/usb-disk/id370531520?mt=8

There are many. You do not need to be jailbroken

4. mattraehl macrumors 6502

OP wants an app that makes his iPhone, when plugged into a computer via USB, appear as a "dumb" USB drive which can be used on Windows without any additional software. The app you linked to (and others like it) require file transfers to go through iTunes. Phoneview and iExplore have to be installed on each machine you want to use the iPhone with (and iExplore even requires iTunes!!)