USB thumbdrive on Mac doesnt work on PC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jayhawk85, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Jayhawk85 macrumors member

Jayhawk85

I have a SanDisk 2gig flash drive which I have been using to move files between my work PC and my personal Macbook. It worked on both just fine until I upgraded the Macbook to Leopard. As far as I can guess that is the only thing different in the setup, and now if I use the flash drive on the Mac and then plug it into the PC it tells me the drive needs to be formatted. And the same vice versa. If I format it and put files from the PC on it and then plug it into the Mac now the Mac wants to format it.

What's the deal? Is there a setting so I can use the drive on both computers? That is the point of having portable storage, and I know it worked in the past. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

What is it formatted too? Only FAT32 is compatible with both Windows and Mac. Disk Utility should be able to do this (it might be called ms-dos format).

3. splashtech macrumors regular

Using either one, make sure it is formatting using FAT32. If its NTFS (Windows), OSX wont be able to read it as far as I know. And if its HFS+ (is this even possible on a flash disk?) (OSX), windows will not have a hope of reading it.

4. Jayhawk85 thread starter macrumors member

Jayhawk85

Thanks

I'll try the FAT32 solution and find out at home tonight if it works. Thanks for the tip.