USB Time Machine -> Airport Disk Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lil' brudder, Feb 11, 2012.

1. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I have been backing up for about a year using an external 1TB USB hard drive. I just purchased an Airport Extreme and want to use the same hard drive with the Airport using Airport Disk. What I was hoping was that Time Machine would pick up over WiFi where it left of on USB. When I connect to the Airport Disk, it starts backing up as if there is not already a time machine backup there (though it still shows the same amount of free space).

Will I have to erase the drive and start backing up fresh? I'd rather not have to if at all possible.

2. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Network backup uses a spare bundle, direct to disk doesn't, you could create the sparse bundle and move everything into it.

This might still work : http://www.unlikelywords.com/2009/01/05/moving-a-time-machine-backup-to-a-time-capsule/

3. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip! Ordinarily I think it would work, but I can't copy the files because the drive isn't big enough and I'm running into an error about case sensitivity which prevents direct copying. After googling for a while determined it would be easier for me to erase my old backups and just start fresh... not the best in the world, but not a huge deal either.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Isn't it possible to move the files instead of copying them?

5. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

Like I said, direct copy is prevented due to an issue with case sensitivity on the drive. It may be possible, but it wasn't worth my time to fight with it. My backup should be about done by now over Ethernet anyway.

6. hafr macrumors 68030

Okay, I didn't understand you meant "move" by "direct copying" :)

7. GoEagles997 macrumors newbie

I have to maybe Google this for you, but from what I understand, you just can't from a Time Machine backup that was connected directly to a Mac and then use that same drive for a backup connected to an Apple Airport Extreme. Also, this isn't officially supported, so beware. There is a command of some type you can type that should help, if I see it again, I'll post it here.