USB to DIN-5 Pin?

Steve Jobs!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Cupertino
So I recently acquired a working Apple IIc computer with great, working peripherals, all except for a printer. Does anyone know of a converter to go from USB (The printer I have) to DIN-5 (The printer input in the IIc)? Or maybe a place to find a printer with the input itself?

Thanks

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
So I recently acquired a working Apple IIc computer with great, working peripherals, all except for a printer. Does anyone know of a converter to go from USB (The printer I have) to DIN-5 (The printer input in the IIc)? Or maybe a place to find a printer with the input itself?
A modern USB printer isn't going to work with a IIc. You'll need something matched to the computer - look for an Imagewriter, Imagewriter II, or compatible. They're heavy, so shipping tends to be pretty expensive.

skinny*k

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
California
The hardware part would be easy:
Go to <http://support.apple.com/kb/TA30794?viewlocale=en_US> and scroll down to “Printer/Modem port.” With that info, you should be able to make a suitable DIN 5 to Serial adapter cable, and then you could use a commercial USB to Serial adapter.
I think that you’ll find that your major obstacle will be the software driver; we used to have to make or modify drivers back in those days, and I doubt that you’ll be able to find anything useful, and I don’t even think that the Apple IIc has enough “oomph” to do anything useful with a modern printer.
In your place, I would look for a suitable vintage printer, or just move the file from the IIc to the machine that uses your printer. Have fun, and good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.