USB to DIN-5 Pin?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Steve Jobs!, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Steve Jobs! macrumors newbie

So I recently acquired a working Apple IIc computer with great, working peripherals, all except for a printer. Does anyone know of a converter to go from USB (The printer I have) to DIN-5 (The printer input in the IIc)? Or maybe a place to find a printer with the input itself?

Thanks

2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

A modern USB printer isn't going to work with a IIc. You'll need something matched to the computer - look for an Imagewriter, Imagewriter II, or compatible. They're heavy, so shipping tends to be pretty expensive.

3. skinny*k macrumors regular

The hardware part would be easy:
    Go to <http://support.apple.com/kb/TA30794?viewlocale=en_US> and scroll down to “Printer/Modem port.” With that info, you should be able to make a suitable DIN 5 to Serial adapter cable, and then you could use a commercial USB to Serial adapter.
    I think that you’ll find that your major obstacle will be the software driver; we used to have to make or modify drivers back in those days, and I doubt that you’ll be able to find anything useful, and I don’t even think that the Apple IIc has enough “oomph” to do anything useful with a modern printer.
    In your place, I would look for a suitable vintage printer, or just move the file from the IIc to the machine that uses your printer. Have fun, and good luck.