USB to DVI Adapters--2nd External Display for iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scottness, Mar 22, 2010.

1. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Ok, I'm looking at adding a 2nd external display to my iMac. I've currently got a 20" iMac with a 24" external, would like to add another 24" if it's a good idea. I'd love a 27" iMac, etc, but it's not in the budget.

I've been looking at USB to DVI adapters as a solution. Anybody have experience with these? Are they any good?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/VIDU2DVIA/

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

So 3 screens total?

You really dont have much of a choice... so not really sure its gonna matter.

I cant answer if its a "good idea" or not. Is there some reason you need 3 screens?

3. scottness thread starter macrumors 65816

scottness

Yep, three screens.

I guess I should have asked, is it worth it to set this up, or should I really just save for a MacPro or 27" iMac? (both are overkill for me) It's more for online trading/research where I often have a bazillion windows open, and another screen would help a lot.

Also, this doesn't support OpenGL. Will this be a problem if I'm not using it for movies or presentations? Any help is appreciated!

Anyone have experience using these?

4. izibo macrumors 6502

The video card in the iMac only supports one additional screen. There are 3rd party solutions that "split" a video feed to two monitors, but I haven't heard much about these in the past few years. They probably wouldn't work that well, regardless.

Your best bet is to purchase a Mac Pro and adding an additional graphics card (stock card can power two monitors).

Edit: matrox sells an item here

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I trust OWC, so Im not sure they would sell something that wouldnt work, but I would have to assume there are limitations. Might be worth a call.

Have you thought about using Spaces?

Can be really really handy.

If you need a lot of web sites open, use a different browser in each Space.

6. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I'd go with the matrox over the mac pro. The mac pro seems like overkill for just about everyone (save mabye, I dunno, gamers or video editors or something . . . )

I've thought about a 3rd screen for my MBP too. I just love having two screens and there are many times when it would be nice to have three. But the $250 for the Matrox and then the $250 or whatever or the third monitor . . . that's a lot of bucks for a luxury on top of a luxury. At least for my needs.