Usb to Ethernet adapter + Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mattpreston11, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Upgraded my MBA 2010 to lion, and bought a 3rd party usb to ethernet adapter. Ive tried loads of drivers and most work but I cant get speeds above 1mb/s..very slow and obviously not what I had hoped.

I'm not sure if its an issue with my adapter or lion?

Anyone else having issues with 3rd party or even the official apple one?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The official Apple one costs $29 and works good for me.

3. vow macrumors member

No issues with the Apple one either. Did you already check the manufacturer's website for updated drivers?

4. mattpreston11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah got the latest driver,which was in may.sending it back today,will pay the extra and pickup the apple one,knowing it deffinately works.thanks!

5. turbotoes macrumors regular

Would you mind stating the manufacturer of the 3rd party adapter, as I have a dlink that I'm hoping will work with the MBA when it arrives tomorrow.

6. mattpreston11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?PLine=71

Asix I think was the chipset in it, I read somewhere that alot of the adapters use the same chip.Might aswel try your belkin one and see. The apple one is £19 on amazon uk.

7. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

I have a third party one from kensington for $9 and it works fine. Granted, I cant test LAN transfer, my internet here at school is ~10mbps and it works fine.

8. liudekhua macrumors newbie

2010 mba here. upgraded to lion and my 3rd party adapter could not even work. pls share your drivers if your 3rd party adapter works.

obviously the apple original will work. it costs like $29 and the 3rd party costs like less than $10.

there was a time when the same thing happened. and it took a while before new drivers for the 3rd party adapter were released.

9. ender21 macrumors 6502

I have a usb-to-gigabit adapter that uses the Asix chipset. Their most recent drivers work on Lion for me just fine. I regularly get transfer speeds over 20MB/s.

http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=84

YMMV if yours isn't USB-to-Gigabit.

10. JCahill33 macrumors newbie

I too have asix chipset. The AX88178. This USB to Ethernet adapter worked perfectly in Snow Leopard. However, once upgrading to Lion, it does not work. I get a link light, and in system preferences, It shows connected, however, I do not get an IP address. Even if I assign it an address manually, network connectivity does not work. Re-installing the driver did not do anything for me. If anyone has any solutions, it would be most appreciated. I would really rather not going out to buy the apple branded version of something I already have (unless I have no other choice). Thanks in advance for the help...

11. mattpreston11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found some drivers in the end, not on the axis website I don't think, They sorted the issue (not getting a valid IP) but speed was really slow. My official apple one has been dispatched so hopefully will get some better speeds with that.

12. urkel macrumors 68030

Do you think Thunderbolt Ethernet or Superdrives will hit the shelves this year? I want to buy an ethernet adapter and superdrive because it'll be annoying when that moment comes that i need it and I dont have one. But theyre pretty overpriced so I dont want to invest and then have a thunderbolt version come out in Sept.

BTW. Anyone have success with a standard windows USB drive on the Air?

13. JCahill33 macrumors newbie

I hate myself...I've been looking around like madman and posting to this forum made me take a real look at it...I found the solution....after upgrading to Lion, remove the adapter entirely (AX88178) in System Preferences....Then, install the drivers from http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=84. Once you have done that, it will prompt you to restart. Once you restart, go back into System Preferences, and add the adapter back. Select Interface "USB Gigabit Ethernet" and hit OK....you will then get an IP and you will be off and running. I've had similar issues with VPN adapters in the past so I figured I would give it a go....also figured I post my success to help others if possible...

Thanks for the help! Love MacRumors...

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You don't need a thunderbolt super drive. Reading a DVD or a cd won't saturate USB 2. It's good enough and any faster connection would be pointless.

15. turbotoes macrumors regular

In case this helps anyone, the d-link DUB-100 drivers cause a kernel panic in Lion, and the windows 7 64 bit drivers are unsigned (go figure!)
    So that was a bust. Now do I wait for a thunderbolt version or just stump up for the 10/100.

I use a samsung USB DVD drive on my MBA and it works just fine.

16. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I so hope they will come out. And especially from Apple so they will be supported without messing around with drivers. I know this other company (Sonnet I think) is working on one but Apple provides the functionality in their new Thunderbolt display so I'm hoping they'll make a separate part too.

It'll be a great use for Thunderbolt on the air, finally the option of gigabit ethernet :D

Edit: This is the sonnet one: link, still no specifics though.

17. liudekhua macrumors newbie

help me please! i did what u said but was stuck when selecting interface. there was no "usb gigabit ethernet" option. just the wifi and bluetooth option.

18. mattpreston11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got my official apple adapter yesterday and it works perfectly, good ping, and fast transfers through my powerline adapters.
    will look at moving my 2nd external HD onto my FTP server I think for automatic backups and access to music from around the house/out the hosue!