USB to Ethernet Adaptor - Retina MacBook Pro

nikguitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
I really want to keep my 2 TB ports free so that I can plug my 2 external monitors. Do you know of any usb to ethernet adaptor that would work with the Retina Macbook Pro? I'm fine if not a gigabit adaptor as we don't go that fast here in my workplace.

Cheers!

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Any USB to ethernet adapter will work. I'm not sure about if the USB port can deliver the sustained bandwidth you may want for an ethernet port but to be honest I've not looked into it

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
I don't see any reason the USB - Ethernet adapter that is in use with the MBA shouldn't work.

Why not ask Apple to be 100% sure before buying?

nikguitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Thanks guys for your replies - I'm checking how fast I can go now with current 2009 gigabit macbook pro

Write ~5 MB/sec

Read ~11MB/sec

Would I get similar performance with a usb 2 to ethernet adaptor?

Very many thanks again for all your thoughts.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
If you're using gigabit routing (router -> cable -> computer) then you're likely to see 0.1 of the speed as USB ethernet is 100Mbit.

Your performance is less than gigabit anyway because although your laptop is gigabit, your router isn't - it's 100Mbit (11MB*8 = 88Mbit <- there are 8 bits in a byte). On most modern routers they have wireless N at 150Mbit so you're actually better off using Wifi than ethernet. If you didn't want to use wifi then you should expect the same speeds as you have at present because you're limited by your router not the ethernet port. If you want ethernet but don't want to upgrade your router then go USB as the thunderbolt one won't be an improvement

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Or the slightly more expensive Apple one.

----------

Thanks guys for your replies - I'm checking how fast I can go now with current 2009 gigabit macbook pro

Write ~5 MB/sec

Read ~11MB/sec

Would I get similar performance with a usb 2 to ethernet adaptor?

Very many thanks again for all your thoughts.
Your network is running 100 mbps routers/switches. 11 MB/sec is what I get using the USB to 100 mbps adaptor so you're not taking advantage of the gigabit ethernet in your MBP anyway.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
I really want to keep my 2 TB ports free so that I can plug my 2 external monitors. Do you know of any usb to ethernet adaptor that would work with the Retina Macbook Pro? I'm fine if not a gigabit adaptor as we don't go that fast here in my workplace.

Cheers!

You could also just connect 2 monitors to one Thunderbolt port? The bandwidth should support that, and daisy chaining is possible.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
you should be able to use a HDMI to DVI Adapter to use one Display on the HDMI Port and the other on one of the Thunderbolt Ports...
Please keep us updated if this is actually the case as that would be a great reason to buy a RMBP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.