USB to Ethernet and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dakotaspurs, Jan 4, 2012.

1. dakotaspurs macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi everyone,

I currently use a Time Capsule with a 4-way USB hub connected to the USB port, which in turn has two external WD drives attached.

The speed of the drives is really bad and connecting takes ages if they are asleep, so I was wondering if I would be able to find a USB-to-Ethernet adapter and attach one of the drives to the Time Capsule Ethernet ports.

Has anyone else done this?
    Can I use the adaptor on the Apple Website (advertised for MacBook Air to get Internet) or the Belkin one, or are these simply for connecting to the Internet?

Any advice or thoughts on this would be really useful.

Thanks in advance

Simon

2. skorpien, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

skorpien macrumors 68020

You can't do this as you would need a USB ethernet server. The USB to Ethernet adapter from Apple's website can only be used to provide an Ethernet connection via USB to a computer that has the drivers to be able to use it properly. It does not and cannot contain a server to serve out USB devices over Ethernet.

USB servers can tend to be fairly expensive, and to find one that works well with Mac OS X may be very difficult. It may be easier to get a true NAS and connect that to your router via Gigabit Ethernet. Found an offering from Edimax: http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=348&pl1_id=18&pl2_id=75