USB to Firewire on Aluminum Macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by itisme1760, Dec 2, 2008.

1. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have an Aluminum Macbook 2.0Ghz that came last night. I would love to do some small homemade movies using iMovie but I know that there isn't a Firewire port 400 on here. Does anyone know of a place that sells a USB to Firewire 400 adapter for a good price? Thanks.

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Won't work.

3. quotemeas macrumors regular

(S)He is right. The only adapter currently out there is Windows XP only (due to the driver). As of right now, there is no way to connect your camcorder to your MacBook.

4. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, seeing that this is unplausible, is there at least a way to transfer DV Tape through USB like through a DV Tape player with USB at the end? And will iMovie detect this as a source?

Is there another way I can get DV Tape to be imported over USB?

Thanks.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Assuming your camera has analog video out, You can convert your DV to an analog video signal, with a capture product such as Elgato EyeTV (Hauppague also makes one) There is a loss in quality but this will allow you to get the video in.

6. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else have any suggestions? Like an HD bay, but for DV Tape that goes to USB?

7. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Keep the MBP in your signature and capture your miniDV footage to an external HDD. Then hook that HDD up to your MB and you're set.

Of course, if you don't have the MBP anymore, you're kinda out of luck.

Another suggestion is to buy a new camcorder that uses USB.

ft

8. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for this method. I am probably going to do this. Do most external HDD that have Firewire Port can have miniDV Tape imported?

9. ebika macrumors 6502

I believe ftaok meant to use the firewire port in the MacBook Pro listed in your signature to import the video, but save it to an external HDD. Then connect the HDD containing to the movie files on it to your new MacBook.

10. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think you read it correctly. It should work, noneoftheless.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

no really, He is saying use the Macbook Pro in your sig to upload the movie. Then save it to an external hard drive so you can connect it to the Macbook later.

12. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Actually, ebika read it the way I meant it. If you still have the Macbook Pro, you could use that to import the footage since it has FW. The easiest way would be to use an external HDD and then connect it to the Macbook.

It's a round-about way to do it, and if you still have the MBP, why not just use it. Still, it's a solution to the problem that you presented.

As far as I know, there are no hard drives that can automatically import DV footage without being connected to a computer.

13. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, actually, I was thinking about getting my brother something that he can hook up his miniDV camcorder to. Thanks anyways.