usb to firewire

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by theposse, Feb 2, 2008.

1. theposse macrumors regular

I have a sony hi8 camcorder and i want to put the video onto a DVD.
    The problem is that i have an imac G4 and i can't seem to connect it as it doesn't have usb 2.0 and i can't find a usb 1.0 to firewire cable.
    Do they exist.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Scott

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Nope. USB 1 is only 12 megabits a second which is about 1.1 megabytes a second. Far far far too slow for video transfer. Firewire is 400 megabits a second which is what you need. I'm not really sure of a method around your problem though unfortunately.

3. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

The iMac G4s have FireWire?

Just go FireWire to FireWire? :confused:

4. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

the camcorder doesn't have a firewire connection it has to be a usb to a firewire cable.
    i got a bit muddled up earlier with the usb 2.0 1.0 thing as the connection to my camcorder is small usb and the firewire is my computer.
    Thanks again scottie

5. heisiam1513 macrumors newbie

Scott,

You have to digitize the footage from hi-8 tapes before importing them. I ran hi-8 tapes through an older mini dv camcorder with an analog-to-digital converter function, then into the mac via firewire. Apparently the newer camcorders generally do not have this function. Additionally, you can buy a converter from canopus such as this

To import, firewire is the easiest although imovie 08 (I think) allows you to import using usb 2.0.

Hope this helps!

Dan

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, they are completely different protocols. There is no such thing as a USB <-> Firewire cable. There are likely devices that can input via USB and output via firewire, but no one cable can do that.