Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MannyAponte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
I recently bought a new iPad which comes with the USB-C to USB-C cable and unique charging adapter. I have a MOFI battery for my other devices when I travel, but it only has two USB ports. Can I use a USB to USB-C cable so that I can recharge my iPad with the MOFI? Or am I stuck with having to charge it with the adapter and cable that came with it?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I recently bought a new iPad which comes with the USB-C to USB-C cable and unique charging adapter. I have a MOFI battery for my other devices when I travel, but it only has two USB ports. Can I use a USB to USB-C cable so that I can recharge my iPad with the MOFI? Or am I stuck with having to charge it with the adapter and cable that came with it?
Yes, I've done this on multiple occasions.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Be wary some cheap USB to USB-C cables are super cheap and can’t carry data and power simultaneously.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Be wary some cheap USB to USB-C cables are super cheap and can’t carry data and power simultaneously.
ALL makers of USB-C cables have to deal with some compromises. Each attribute that is supported involves some limit on another attribute.

Supporting high USB data speed either limits power transmission or raises the cost of manufacture. High power transmission tends to require bulkier and often stiffer cables. The list goes on and on. Frequently, "charging" cables sacrifice data transmission speed to maintain lower cost and/or appear more "svelte". Good brands will list the cable's abilities accurately. Many cheap brands (brand-less) hide the compromises they've made to achieve the low price, thus leaving the customer in the dark.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I just upgraded my iPhone 11 and iPad 7 too the new Apple 30w usb C wall fast charging

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I am pretty sure that’s just a waste of money. Don’t think either supports that high of a charge. Probably could of just gone with the 18w ones tbh
If one gets an iPad Pro though, at least they already have a 30W charger.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It comes with an 18w charger ?
It obviously won't charge as fast as 30W. The iPad Pros (except for 9.7) do support 30W charging. @masotime has a thread with measurements.

Whether the trade offs with regards to battery health is worth the faster charging times would be up to the individual. I only have one 30W charger so more often than not, my iPads are charged via 12W overnight but I have found the 30W useful when battery's almost drained and I need a quick top up.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
It obviously won't charge as fast as 30W. The iPad Pros (except for 9.7) do support 30W charging. @masotime has a thread with measurements.

Whether the trade offs with regards to battery health is worth the faster charging times would be up to the individual. I have found it useful when battery's almost drained and I need a quick top up.

Yeah but he mentioned the iPad 7 and iPhone 11. The 18w fast charging is sufficient for those. I thought you meant the iPad Pro came with a 30w charger

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah but he mentioned the iPad 7 and iPhone 11. The 18w fast charging is sufficient for those. I thought you meant the iPad Pro came with a 30w charger
Poster already bought a 30W charger. Even if his current devices will only charge at 15W and 18W, at least he's covered if he upgrades to iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.