USB Transfer Slow

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kirk Boragine, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Kirk Boragine macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Have 3.55 GB transferring off a 4 GB San Disk Cruiser now stuck at 3.35 out of 3.55 going on 6 hours now. First 3 Gigs transfered relatively quick. What can I do to speed up the last bit. It's VERY SLOW now. Last 4 hours has been painful.

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Generally when that happens it's because small files are being copied. Files of less than 512k size.

Do you have a lot of small files being copied now?

Is this USB 1 or USB 2?

3. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

I assume it's USB 1.
    iBook PowerPC G3 -600MHz -Memory 640MB -OS 10.4.11

Copying iLife '05

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Are you sure it's continuing to transfer? Or has it just been stuck at the same reading for the entire time?

Activity Monitor can tell you if the hard drive is being written to and what apps are taking the most CPU.

If you open it and find the HD isn't moving and either no CPU usage or 100% usage (i.e., not fluctuating) then it may be a good bet that the copy has failed.

5. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Yes, thanks. Been using Activity Monitor to do just that. It reads around 500kb/sec. Writes a couple hundred every now and then. Painful. I'm up to 3.41 GB of 3.55 Woohoo! haha

Finder is using half the CPU. Of course this brings the computer to it's knees. Posted a couple times from it to here but I'm back on another computer to post this. Been setting up this G3 ALL DAY. Hope it's worth it. Hope Garageband works.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2017 ---
    Writes a couple hundred Bytes that is... :eek:

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah, looks like small files then.

I've cloned 25+ GBs or so over USB 1 and it's always those damn 1k files in the system folders that kill the transfer process.

7. Kirk Boragine, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

3.45 GB of 3.55 GB copied! haha -oh well. There's always tomorrow...

Doesn't help that I can't stop playing with my new machine. Just setup email, imported a CD, listening to music... doing some web browsing. Even with the CPU getting eaten up she's still running. Slow, but running. Still have some RAM left most of the time too. This G3 just might work for what I need it to do.

Update: So yeah, it worked. Was waiting for me early this morning. Been pushing this iBook hard today.