USB transfer speeds have slowed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportguy0913, Jun 12, 2010.

1. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

My girlfriend just got a new MacBook Pro and I've been helping her transfer software and such to her computer from my MacBook Pro. When I was transfering games to a USB 2.0 flash drive (it was only 25% full and it is 2GB), it was freezing up when transfering multiple things. So, I stopped everything, and transfered e verything one at a time. Well, it took between 5-10 minutes to transfer a 50MB game!!! When I plugged the drive into her computer it took all but 30 seconds to transfer. Is this difference accounted for by the .14 GHz processor bump from my 2.26 to her 2.4? Or should I be concerned about this slow speed? My computer is little over a year old now and I've already had the logic board replaced. Is soemthign going bad?

THank you!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

USB flash memory sticks use cheap flash memory, which has abysmal (1-5MB/s) write speeds and slightly better read speeds (5-10MB/s), in my experience at least.

But you speeds seem to be very slow anyway, have you taken a look at Activity Monitor > Disk Activity (Spotlight search will help you open it)?

3. sportguy0913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'll monitor that next time I transfer. =)