iPad Pro USB transfer speeds still 2.0

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Loge, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

So, it looks like the new iPad Pros (mine is the 11 niche) do not transfer data from iTunes any faster than previous models. Not surprised really, but disappointing none the less.

2. Nozuka macrumors 68020

It can't be USB 2.0 since it supports 5k Monitors. But one review noted, that the included cable is too slow for that and you need a faster one.

It's likely the same for file transfer

3. norge macrumors member

I also think it’s the cable, because if you look at the accessories page there is stated Charing cable and data transfer usb 2.0.
    would be nice if someone has USB C to USB C cable to try it on a Mac/pc with USB C.

4. Loge thread starter macrumors 68030

Loge

Yes, that is absolutely right. I use a different cable (that came with my external USB-C drive) and it is now transferring much faster.

5. norge macrumors member

6. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Glad I ordered some high speed cables already from Anker. It’s ridiculous that Apple charges $150 more now and yet they can’t even include a proper high speed cable.

7. cmaier macrumors G5

To some extent physics requires that you choose high dc current or high frequency. They went with “charge quickly.”

You can, of course, achieve both, but it’s not simple nor cheap.

8. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yeah, there was an article about this on 9 to 5 Mac.

The cable that comes in the iPad box is for charging, not data transfer. Apparently, not all USB-c cables are the same, and you will need a USB-c cable that supports high bandwidth connections. This is true especially if you intend to connect the iPad to a 5K monitor.

It's worth remembering that the new iPad's port is a USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 port, NOT a Thunderbolt 3 port.

FWIW, here is a cable that should work for data transfer on the new iPads:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Thund...4aab6249e31079940a6f5f5303b3bc&language=en_US