USB trouble still.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Dec 24, 2013.

1. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

So once again, I am trying to make bootable USB from OS X 10.5 Leopard .dmg. I followed the directions on the Ubuntu forums, but I have tried 3 times without luck. I get "dd: /dev/rdisk1: Invalid argument" after the process in Terminal is done. When I try to boot up into OpenFirmware, I get the 'X' across the screen when using the command "boot ud:,\\:tbxi". Also when I eject the flash drive, and insert it again, Mac OS X says it is unreadable and needs to be formatted. Apple themselves say that iBook G4s can boot from Tiger or Leopard from a USB stick. What am I missing?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Have you tried doing it in Disk Utility? I think that was the way I did it.

3. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Partition the USB drive with Mac OS X disk utility, be sure to set partition map to PowerPC Partition Map in addition of making one partition. Then use Disk Utility's restore feature, img is of course the source and the formatted usb stick is the destination. After that you have created a stick which should boot.

In OF even though I have read instructions it takes some time to figure out how to point to correct USB port. The command "dev / ls" lists devices and you have to look the results to get clues or just blindly use all common codes found on instructions hoping to find the correct one.

4. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Doesn't work.. I think it's the USB flash drive I'm using. There is a red light on it that is always on when it's plugged in. It is never not on..except in OF. I think it's just not recognized in OF for some reason.

5. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

6. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Not sure if ibook G4 can run Mac OS 10.5 Leopard.

You've done research so it probably can. Maybe it's issue with installer seeing the speed of processor as not meeting minimum requirements?

The only way to check and see if it's an issue with the USB is to try another USB flash drive…Even then, you have not conclusively isolated the problem.

On another note, why are you installing 10.5? If it's to run a certain App/software I understand, but for G4 Macs I think Panther 10.3 is best (for speed).

7. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

It is the mid-2005 1.33 GHz iBook G4, and it is the best G4 to run Leopard out there, aside of the 1.42 GHz G4, and the PowerBooks. It is currently running Tiger, which is very fast for it, but it doesn't seem to run all the software I want. Like iTunes 10, newer internet browsers, things like that.

8. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

ahas, I see well hmmm, have you tried borrowing/getting an alternative USB flash drive? Best bet is to google a brand of flash drive that has been known to work and to confirm it. Then get that same exact one and try it out.

9. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

You can shrink the image and fit it on a single layer DVD by deleting extra languages and Xcode stuff if you can't get it to work with a USB drive.

I know from experience that Open Firmware has buggy USB boot support on older PPC macs. Sometimes it works, other times it wont...

10. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

So I think my iBook will probably never boot from a USB device. :(
    I cloned a copy of my HD onto an external hard drive, and when I start up into OF, the HD doesn't turn on. When I plug it into the other USB port, it turns on for about 7 seconds, then you hear the read/write head crash to the side like when you force shut-down a computer, and the same happens to my USB flash drive: when the iBook starts up, the flash drive's light goes on for a second like it's responding, then goes off and acts like it's unplugged. If I ever need to clone my HD back onto my laptop, would I have to boot up with a firewire to IDE cable with my HD connected to clone back onto my main HD?