USB Turntables

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ThaQuest, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ThaQuest macrumors newbie

I just purchased a Numark USB Turntable from Amazon and am quite excited to convert all of my vinyl to MP3s. However, I have one question: with 2 of these turntables, am I able to play "dummy records" that play MP3s straight off of my computer? I would like to do some DJing, but I don't want to carry all of my vinyl around with me. Just 2 blank records which can play anything would be ideal. I've heard about this, but I don't have any details or knowledge.

Thanks for your help!

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

You need this or this or this

to do...that

3. ThaQuest thread starter macrumors newbie

thankyou! scratch live looks good, but expensive!

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

You will need a mixer also unless you already have that.

It is expensive and i am in the process of getting Traktor Scratch for myself.

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

For the price of two USB tables and the quality you'll get from them, you'd be much better off with Ableton Live IMO.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

agreed

and about your above comment, you are entering a very expensive universe...

enjoy!

:)

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

That's true.

@ ThaQuest, it's really worth considering what it is you want to do with a software program, MP3s and DJing. There's a lot of options out there. :)

8. Rollershapple macrumors regular

Id say get Torq, because im an M-audio fanboy.

9. sangamc macrumors newbie

i second that, plus they got the torq xponent usb controller which iimo is sweeeeeeeet

10. optimus prime macrumors regular

11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I really don't think these USB turntables are designed for DJing, much less using with Serato.

12. dustedvinyl macrumors newbie

Well the Numark isn't for sure since it's belt drive and an absolute piece o crap build wise (For DJ'ing.. not for transfering vinyl to a computer at home ThaQuest).... Stanton just came out with a USB direct drive for $299 that having seen is just a better solution for the 'vinyl to mp3/wav' conversion if that's what you want to do. When it comes to dj'ing if you get anything less than Technics 1200's or any other manufactures 'top of the line' deck your asking for trouble imo... Mixers and cartridges are a whole different issue and forum (although it's either a Pioneer DJM 800 or Allen & Heath Xone 92 and Ortofon's for me)..... ;). As for software I've used both Torq and Serato and frankly Rane wins this hands down... I'm a huge M-Audio fan when it comes to sound cards, midi controllers and even in ear headphones (since they're using ultimate ears) but Serato is a better program imho. (15+ years of club dj'ing house music... no weddings please... ;)) That being said the money you save on Torq can be worth it....

(Just so I'm clear I have no major issues with Torq but just like Serato better.... If you can justify spending the extra $240 bucks I would.... Also, stay away, FAR AWAY from programs like Virtual DJ... unless you want to take your laptop and beat yourself to death with it.... and time coded vinyl/cd's from Rane, M-Audio and Native Instruments (Traktor) won't work with it... I'd love to take the time here to lob a grenade in PCDJ's general direction but they're so crappy they're not worth it...)

13. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Agreed, especially when using something that's requires quite a lot of power from the drive (like Serato). Anything less than a Technics or Vestax deck is not worth it (they're a fair bit cheaper now that they used to be so not quite as unobtainable for learners.).

That Numark USB drive, and the ION USB drive, are one and the same I think. Not seen the DD drive you mention.

I learnt to DJ on these old, wooden, belt-drive decks with a +/-5 dial pitch control. When I upgraded to Technics my mixing, inevitably, improved a fair bit!

I love the look and functions of the DJM800, but have heard quite bad things about quality - both hardware and sound? Not used one, though.

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

back to what you were saying,

if you want to get into DJ'ing, you'll have to ditch the USB decks most likely.

They're kind of a gimmick, and are mostly for transfering old vinyl to your hard drive.

which is what you said you got it for anyway.

For DJing, you're gonna need real decks. Just get a higher end Stanton Direct Drive pair of decks. I like Stanton they keep the price down, and give you practically the same sh*t.