USB tv tuner?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bloodycape, Aug 12, 2007.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I am looking to purchase the best usb tv tuner, recording would be nice but not required. I don't care if it is for OS X or Vista(MCE support would be coo)l as I have both installed in my computer, which ever has better option for me. I don't want to spend over $75(over $100 if it is really good).

I was using hauppauge usb2 tv, but it wasn't that good in Vista(bad video quality) and the software seemed a little old. But, I am willing to give the company another chance. I am looking at their WinTV HVR-950 as it looks like it has Vista and OSX support, but I don't know if there is a different version with the Mac support? And if there is can I get the regular version and get the mac software so I can have support in both Vista and OSX?

2. mchank macrumors regular

Elgato:

www.elgato.com

They make TV tuner products just for mac. Their Eyetv Hybrid is very popular and their software is very good. The hardware looks the same as the one you posted so you could probably use the software that you have now and it would probably work in Windows too.

Also you should check out the PCTV HD Pro Stick here:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV/PCTV/

I saw it for sale at Best Buy for $79.99 last week; looks fully featured and within your price range.

3. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

Like the last two posts stated, Elgato is your best bet. :)

- Daniel

4. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't care if it is mac or windows but the Elgato is the best bet? Really? I saw that Happauge system also on sale at BB. I saw the prices for the elgato and they are more than what I want to spend. But, I may go with the Pinnacle device, unless some can tell me the Happauge is better.

5. pengu macrumors 6502a

the problem with anything other than an Elgato, is very limited Mac support. Elgato licensed EyeTV software for a few manufacturers to bundle with their devices, but they've now stopped this...