USB TV tuner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brianj, Aug 24, 2007.

1. brianj macrumors member

Hello,

I want to buy a tv tuner for my macbook pro. The problem is that there is so much garbage out there. I would like to be able to see text tv and possible multiple channels at once (to get a quick overview) it should support PAL, digital tv is nice but not a must.

Any recommendations?

Best regards
    Brian

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

check out the eytv series...those might be your answer with there many models.

3. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

4. brianj thread starter macrumors member

Do you have any experience with that or ? Im going for recommendations, not which brands are out there. Google can tell me that ;-)

5. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I've been using an older product (a DTV-only device) that is similar to the eye-tv 250. Same form-factor, but no analog. Been using it for 2 years.

Once I figured out how to rig the little arial it worked very well. I have it attached via it's magnetic base to the metal surround of the inside of my window pointing in a horizonal direction towards the transmitter - just sitting upright is useless. I wonder if all that metal is acting as an extended arial. :eek:

DTV picture quality is excelent, and I think the software is fantastic.

YAMMV

If you want multiple channels, some of the other devices provide more than one tuner, but there is also nothing to stop you having more than one device attached... I'm thinking of getting a 250 to convert some old VHS content.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've been using the El Gato EyeTV DTT USB digital tuner for ages. It's fantastic. It supports DVB-T in both standard and high definition. Australia has DVB-T digital for all free to air stations so this was the best choice for me.

If in your PAL region not all channels are broadcast in digital you may want to check out the EyeTV Hybrid which does both analog and digital TV.

7. brianj thread starter macrumors member

Yeah Ive been considering the hybrid, just dont know about the picture quality.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The digital picture quality is fantastic. I can't comment on the analog though as I haven't watched analog TV in years.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As with most things it depends what signal strength you get from your aerial.